Sunday, March 18, 2012

First organ recital!


Well last night I gave my first organ recital- and really my first solo recital ever. I’ve never played a full concert program and it was quite an on-taking. I had the privilege to play with some very dear friends here—a soprano (music teacher here) named Milie and a violinist (alison’s adult student) Nigel. Playing with them was so incredibly fun and fulfilling. With Milie, she sang the Pie Jesu from Faure’s Requiem and with Nigel we did the Allegro from ‘Sumer’ in Vivaldi’s 4 seasons. So much fun!

Nigel performing Vivaldi's Summer

Millie performing Faure's Pie Jesu


Performers!
Lovely ladies- Tiana was a huge help pulling a lot of stops during the bigger and faster pieces!
In rehearsal with Tiana

I love giving concerts and performing and it was so great to play organ again. I’ve also never really been able to share the organ music with other people because I only learned pieces in school for performance exams. Here, I invited all families with kids to come and kids could come up to the organ and pull some of the stops, press the pedals, see how the instrument worked up close. I think that that was the biggest success of all! A lot of adults also wanted to come up and ask me questions about the instrument. Throughout the concert I also spoke to the audience about the instrument, the pieces they were hearing, and the composers. I wanted it to be a real learning experience for the community and I think it was. We also had the organ builder come to the concert and speak about how he built the instrument! Was so much fun! We sold tickets for the equivalent of about $1.75 but raised about $80 for Umoja!

I spoke a bit between every few pieces to tell the audience about the music and the instrument

Beautiful roses from Fraser! (and Nigel smiling in the photo!)

After the concert, we all went to my favorite restaurant, Michels for wine and crepes and then on to the bar across the street for lots of dancing and fun. Was a fantastic evening all together.

Of course I’m very hard on myself about my performance, but I have to be happy. The pieces that I was most nervous about were played almost without any errors! It was amazing to me. Then the pieces that I felt better about- eh… some slips of the feet made me a little unhappy but such is the nature of the beast. It was a fantastic experience and I’m so grateful for it. I also want to sincerely thank my friends here because I had friends taking photos, video, and audio recording of the concert. And some roses from Fraser made it extra special J

It’s a big weight off my shoulders as I continue to compose each week for our big show in June, Ndoto. Check out the website I created for it! Alison wrote a fantastic article all about the show!

http://daniellewilliamsmusic.com/ndoto-project.html

Also last week- my friend from home came to Tanzania for safari visits and stopped into Arusha for a night! so much fun to see Sam again!

Easter holidays are coming up soon and I’m very happy for that. I’ll be going to Ethiopia for 5 days to visit some friends!

I feel very happy and incredibly thankful for all that life has to offer.

1 comment:

  1. Dear, how wonderful, to imagine the sounds coming from the recital you and others gave! Of course, you know the organ is my favorite instrument, and I only wish I could have been there to soak it all in. Did you record it and will you be able to post it to your site? Thanks for sharing your lovely talents with those around you, and for helping the many who have been slighted by nothing more than the incidence of milieu. A kiss to you, in lieu of a rose.

    ReplyDelete